Reviews - Construction Plan
Cherokee County Fire & Emergency Services
Community Risk Reduction Division
Fire Marshal's Office
1130 Bluffs Parkway
Canton, Georgia, 30114
To obtain a building permit, for the following construction:
New Building Construction an Addition, Tenant Finish or a shell building
This is not an all-inclusive list but this should be used as a guide for plan submittal.
The following is required by the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office for plan submittal for commercial projects in Cherokee County:
- Building Name:
- Building Address:
- Project Name:
- Tenant’s name:
- Phone number:
- Deign professional: Name:
This is for construction and possible change in use.
Please provide compliance and notes for the following on the plans according to the
- International Building Code (IBC code) and the
- Life Safety Code (LSC)
- IBC Allowable area:
- IBC Actual area/square footage:
- IBC Allowable height:
- IBC Actual height/ number of stories;
- IBC Area and height increase (show calculations on the plans)
- IBC Building Construction type:
- Does the building need a sprinkler system according to the IBC?
- Does the building need a sprinkler system according to the LSC?
- Is the building sprinklered?
- Does the building need a fire alarm system according to the LSC or any other codes?
- Does the building have a fire alarm?
- Occupancy class according to the IBC:
- Occupancy class according to the LSC:
- Occupant load according to the LSC:
- Occupant load of the entire building/ suite:
- Occupant load Broken down by each room:
- Occupant load Broken down by each use:
Provide the following:
- Architectural and engineered stamps as required
- Wall details, to include complete UL details
- Provide a list of all fire-resistance rated assemblies. Also, provide a diagram of the actual testing agency design and include the approved tested design number.
- Fire Barriers
- Fire Partitions
The door schedule to include the following:
- Rating of doors
- Fire hardware
- Panic devices
There must be a Knox Box on all buildings.
The FDC is not to be placed on the building for an NFPA 13 system.
The FDC is to be placed on the building for an NFPA 13 R system
A site plan indicating the location of the building with dimensions to all property lines.
What are the plans for? This must be indicated on the plans.
- New Construction
- Tennant Finish
- White Box
For and addition or a remodel provide the following:
- Provide Complete
- Mechanical plans
- Plumbing plans
- Electrical plans
Include the following as needed:
- A summary of flammable and/or combustible liquids in use and storage. If there is going to be storage in the building
- Height of the storage
- If there will be racking in the building
Effective January 1, 2020 State Adopted Codes:
Please verify all currents Georgia State Amendments
- NFPA 101 Life Safety Code 2018 Edition with current Georgia Amendments
- NFPA 13 2019 Edition with current Georgia Amendments
- NFPA 72 2019 Edition with current Georgia Amendments
- NFPA 96 2019 Edition with current Georgia Amendments
- International Building Code, 2018 Edition, with current Georgia Amendments
- International Fire Code, 2018 Edition, with current Georgia Amendments
- International Plumbing Code, 2018 Edition, with current Georgia Amendments
- International Mechanical Code, 2018 Edition, with current Georgia Amendments
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2018 Edition, with current Georgia
- National Electrical Code, 2020 Edition with current
- Georgia 120-3-20 Effective January 1, 2020 Access to and use of Public Facilities by Handicapped Persons.
*These amendments to the State Minimum Standard Codes can be found at the Georgia Department of Community Affairs web site. All listed amendments for each corresponding code are applicable.
Please complete and submit Owner information certificate as requested.
- This is available on the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s website.
- Please add the note below to the coversheet of all plans being submitted to the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s office for review.
- The following plans have been reviewed by the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office. The drawings were reviewed under the applicable laws adopted at the time. Every effort was made to ensure code compliance. Any code violations that were missed during the plan review are the owner’s responsibility and must be corrected in order to receive final approval or a certificate of occupancy.
- The following are required, a pre-construction meeting, a 50%, 80% and 100% inspection.
- Sprinkler pipes require a pipe check prior to the hanging of the sprinkler pipe, for welded pipe only.
- Site work needs a pre-construction meeting as well as underground inspections.
- Please schedule all building inspections on the CityView Portal.
- Please call 678-493-6290 for all site inspections.
- If there are problems scheduling the inspection please call the Fire Marshal’s office at 678-493-6290
Please add the note below to the coversheet of all construction plans being submitted to the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s office for review.
- The Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office(CCFMO) and the Cherokee County Developmental Services plan review process. The way the plans have been submitted the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office has changed and the plans will now be submitted online through the CityView portal under “apply for a building permit”.
- For help please call 770-721-7812 or 770-721-7816.
- There is a digital upload fee of $50.00
- There are three types of permits that are being referenced, a Building Permit, a Fire Prevention Permit, and a Special Event Permit.
- New construction
- Tenant finish
- Paint Booths
- Racking Systems
- Kitchen Hood Systems
- Fire Prevention Permits:
- Blasting Permit
- Commercial Fire Pit
- Fireworks Display
- Fire Alarm
- Fire Sprinkler
- IFC 510
- Kitchen Hood Suppression Systems
- Paint Booth Suppression
- Special Event:
- Fireworks Stand
- You will be required to open a new application for each project.
- Once the application is created for the specific project, this will be used for all submittals, resubmittal, fees, the permit, and the preconstruction meeting ( at your preconstruction meeting it will be determined where all inspections will be scheduled, on this permit or a master project permit).
- Building Permit
- This will be reviewed by but not limited to the following:
- The Building Department
- The Fire Marshal’s Office
- The Planning and Zoning Department
- The Fire Prevention Permits plan review will be handled in a timely fashion but it must be understood that the Cherokee Fire Marshal’s Office has a normal plan review time frame of up to 5 days.
- There is a process when submitting through the CityView portal and the appropriate steps must be followed to receive approval and inspections.
- All inspections will be scheduled by the applicant on the CityView portal.
- Fire Prevention Permits only
- Once the project has been assigned to the Cherokee County Fire Marshal’s Office for review plan. The plan review process starts, and an email with the amount due for the project will be sent to the applicant indicating the amount due for the project.
- It is your responsibility to make sure the fees are paid. The permit will not be released until the fees have been paid.
- If the plans are denied you will receive an emailed letter from the Development Services Center (DSC) stating why the plans were denied. Then you will be required to make corrections and resubmit the plans through the portal. The plans must be uploaded to the portal using the project number on the letter from the DSC.
- When the plans are approved you will receive an emailed permit from the DSC.
- The job site set of plans will be on the CityView portal, you will be required to print out the stamped job site set of plans.
- You are required to have the permit and the job site set of plans on-site for the preconstruction meeting as well as all inspections.
- Failure to have either one will result in immediate failure of the inspection.
- All inspections are to be scheduled through the CityView Portal.
- If the Fire Prevention Permit is part of a master project, the permit must still be applied for as a standalone permit. The pre-construction meeting must be scheduled through the CityView Portal. It will be determined at the preconstruction what permit number will be used to schedule all inspections. All inspections will still need to be scheduled through the CityView portal under the appropriate permit number.
- This must be called in or emailed to the CCFMO fire prevention staff to create a new fee and another inspection activity
- All Permits
- If there are documents that need to be sent to the CCFMO please do not email them, they must be uploaded on the CityView portal.
- Fire prevention staff:
- Chad Arp
- Daniel J Baiamonte
- Michael Priest
- David Morrow
- Kevin Bruce
- Kent Erwin
- Brian Wood
- ALL BUILDING MUST COMPLY WITH THE 2018 IFC SECTION 510 EMERGENCY RESPONDER RADIO COVERAGE.
- This will be determined at the 80% inspection. If there is not proper radio coverage from the inside of the building, you will be required to comply with this section.
- The code is available on our website under 2018 IFC SECTION 510 EMERGENCY RESPONDER RADIO COVERAGE.